Friday, October 20, 2006

Still riding!

I've been trying to average riding at least six days a week. My ride is very short because, and I will admit it, I'm out of shape. Being a big guy I'm hauling around a lot more. It's going to take time but I'm enjoying it and that's the thing. I'm getting more of a work out riding my bike on the same path I had walked before. I've already been able to tell a difference in how I feel. I've made strides in my ability to cover more ground and make it up grades. For example, I've extended my ride to the local school so that I go to the back side of the school parking lot. I am also now able tomake it up the hill in front of my house to my driveway before stopping. Sometimes I don't have to but before I stopped 2 or 3 times. My son is riding with me and now that he has a new bike (present from his paw paw on his birthday) he has been joining me on our evening rides. I'm planning to start stretching our rides out in the next week or so but that presents a problem with the upcoming time change. I'll have to see how that works out. I'm also planning to try and start doing two-a-days on my rides. I'd like to try doing an early morning ride by myself and then one in the evening with my son. We'll see where the road takes me.

I've recently modified my handle bars for a better feel and added steering dampners. I'll post some pictures in the next couple of days. I finally figured out my shifting problem on the left side as being the cable itself. I almost wasn't able to pull the cable out of the housing. This was my discount bike from Walmart. Lucky for me I went by the local bike shop and they were close but I remembered Walmart having cables. For less than $5 I was able to get the cables I needed and now I don't have to get off the bike to down-shift. I going to start painting the bare metal areas starting next week. We'll see how that goes.

0 comments: