Sunday, November 19, 2006

Drivetrain problems

Got my second front light in this week and after the downpour we had on thursday I finally got the light mounted and wiring ran. I had a problem with my axle slipping on Wed. and thought I had it back together. Unfortunately yesterday on my ride I learned that wasn't the case. When I got to the elementary school I noticed that the axle was about to pull out. The carrier bearing and sprocket on the other side of the bike kept it from sliding out but this still presents a problem. I going to try and correct this by repositioning the axle and drill a whole through the collar (former crank mount hole) and the bottom bracket piece. This will be fun due to the nature of the material making up the bottom bracket, case hardend steel.

With that aside the new light is tremendously brighter and will help a great deal but I still might have to change the bulbs in the old light and possibly both to an led setup. I 've also looked at Luxeon bulbs as a possible solution. We'll see. Today I hope to get the axle problem resolved and get another ride in. I didn't realize how much I really enjoyed riding until I didn't do it for a few days.

0 comments: